RTI International is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Energy Sector Embedded Advisor in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job descriptionResponsibilitiesTransaction advisors provide transaction support to advance Power Africa priority transactions by tracking statuses, engaging with stakeholders, and recommending specific technical assistance to expedite or remove obstacles to financial close.The Energy Sector Embedded Advisor is expected to be placed on a full-time basis within the Ministry of Water, Irrigation, and Electricity (MWIE) to support Ministry energy sector initiatives, planning, and oversight capacity, while improving Ministry technical, administrative, and managerial capacity to oversee the energy sector.Specific Responsibilities
- Offer continued transaction support for ongoing energy transactions (note however there is a transaction advisor for Ethiopia, for whom transaction support is a primary responsibility: this work entails supporting any ministerial-level transaction advocacy or technical support is necessary
- Support planning and energy strategy at the ministerial level: review and improve current least cost development plans, sector strategies and roadmaps. Recommend EAEP technical work that will lead to Power Africa objectives for new utility connections, improved utility performance, strengthened generation and transmission capacity, and regional integration. Build MWIE stakeholder support for the same, ensuring continuous engagement and informed participation by ministry officials.
- Improve systems, procedures, and processes MWIE uses to coordinate, organize, and oversee the work of multiple donors and technical partners, ensuring MWIE can effectively play a central role in planning and oversight of donor-supported activities, and can effectively plan, prioritize, and coordinate. Recommend training/capacity building activities in support of these goals, and help produce and integrate tools, processes, and procedures where it improves MWIE’s ability to coordinate and oversee donor-sponsored technical work.
- Capacity building and training: prepare capacity assessments for all key ministerial staff to identify and plan training, embedded advisory assignments, and capacity building activities that improve MWIE’s ability to execute its political mandate and provide effective, responsive/proactive sector oversight
- Lead advocacy efforts for independent regulation, cost-reflective tariffs, competitive procurement of generation capacity, and other concepts included in Power Africa Extension objectives. Identify and support training and capacity building in support of these concepts where it will improve stakeholder support for them.
- Engage on an individual basis with all MWIE personnel expected to have a technical or leadership role related to PPPs, IPPs, utility performance oversight, or energy sector strategy. Build relationships with these key stakeholders to ensure Power Africa EAEP project activities correspond to MWIE needs and that stakeholder support helps advance EAEP objectives.
- Support reporting, data collection, monitoring and evaluation of project activities