DCA is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Country Director in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
You looking for an opportunity to lead a large team of humanitarian and development experts responding to some of the key issues currently facing Ethiopia? Then this might be just the opening you are looking for!
DCA is looking for its Country Director in Ethiopia to lead and manage DCA’s country programme whose goal is to ensure that “Poor women, men and youth in rural and semi-urban areas of Ethiopia experience improved livelihoods, that they are empowered to lead sustainable and resilient lives and can find viable alternatives to unsafe and unregulated migration”.
DCA Ethiopia Country Programme comprises a diverse portfolio of activities ranging from responding to the presence of refugees, supporting host communities and improving livelihood of poor rural communities. It is thus following a nexus approach, linking emergency response to recovery and long-term development. The work is characterised by a large proportion of projects under direct implementation and contains strong components of private sector collaboration in relation to value creation.
The position entails the overall responsibility to lead and manage the country programme, including 115 national staff, a turnover of activities of 10 million USD implemented by DCA and a portfolio of 8 partners. DCA’s main office is in Addis Ababa, with five field offices in Bale, Waghimra, Gambella, and two in Afar (Aysaita and Berhale).
We expect you to:
- Provide strategic leadership of the country programme in Ethiopia and to further develop the programme in line with DCA strategy and priorities.
- Support DCA’s direct implementation capacity; work together with partners, build capacity and continually support staff’s development.
- Be responsible for the strategic guidance of the office and country programme, which includes an oversight of all financial and administrative matters as well as of the staff.
- Represent DCA proactively. Build and strengthen relationships in Ethiopia and in Denmark, towards embassies, donors, private sector actors, partners, authorities and other stakeholders.
- Meet DCA organisational performance benchmarks and related deadlines.
- Engage in proactive communication and media work with constituencies in Denmark.
- Contribute and communicate with DCA headquarter on relevant policies and strategies.
- Identify new donors, maintain existing donor relationships and ensure financial compliance with donor requirements.
- Overall responsible for risk and security management
We are looking for:
- Ability to lead a large team of staff with demonstrated strategic leadership and management experience (at least 5-7 years) in humanitarian and development programming in complex working environment.
- Experience in both direct and partner-led implementation modalities of projects.
- A good combination of stamina, charisma and constructive critical attitude.
- Analytical and strategic thinking, with a commitment to a long-term development process.
- Experience with a gender equity and rights-based approach.
- Understanding and experience of partnerships with private sector.
- Experience working with faith-based organisations and religious actors.
- Strong negotiation skills, diplomatic tact and ability to nurture relations.
- Knowledge and experience with Ethiopian political, cultural, and economic spheres an advantage.
- Ability to identify with and practice management values: respectful, participatory, strategic and vision driven, efficient and accountable.
- Master’s degree in social science or another related field, work experience within development or humanitarian response.
- Proven experience with project cycle management and implementing donor guidelines.
- Openness for innovation and creativity.
- Good communication skills, fluency in English – oral as well as written.
For further information, please contact Cecilie Bjørnskov-Johansen, DCA Programme Director email@example.com
Expected starting date is mid-October 2019. The contract is for three years with the possibility of extension. Terms and conditions are as per the DCA Handbook for Family duty stations.
Closing date for applications will be 9th of August 2019. First Interview will be held on 19 August 2019 and second interview will be held on 22 August 2019 please indicate in the application if you are not available on the above dates. Should you be chosen for the second interview, you will have to fill out a behavioural analysis on 20 and 21 August 2019. Only online applications consisting of as a minimum a CV and a cover letter will be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, religion or ethnicity are encouraged to apply for the vacancy.
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.
To apply for this job please visit www.danchurchaid.org.