Ethiopia Jobs: CORDAID is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Head of Programmes in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Title: Head of Programmes (National Position)
Career Categories: Program/Project Management
City: Addis Ababa with 40% travel to the field offices
Theme: Disaster Management, Gender, Shelter and Non-Food Items
Years Of Experience: 5-9 years
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of
experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict, and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise, and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
CORDAID Ethiopia Office has been in operation since 2006 and now requires additional technical capacity. Therefore, would like to recruit a Head of Programmes as detailed below,
Head of Programmes
Duty Station: Addis with 40% travel to the field offices
The Head of Programmes reports directly to the Country Director. The function holder provides leadership to the country program and collaborates with technical focal points of the Humanitarian Aid and Resilience program units at Cordaid Global Office in The Hague. S/he will line manage the country level Programme Managers and Coordinators for each sector of operations.
Purpose of the position
The Head of Programmes is responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation and ensures strategic coherence and vision of the whole country programme, based on active participation in the development of the Cordaid Strategic Programme Plan document.
S/he takes responsibility for the effective planning, implementation, coordinating, standardization and monitoring the efficient delivery of Cordaid’ emergency preparedness and response, and the resilience programmes in Ethiopia. Working with the program managers and coordinators s/he maintains strategic donor relations management, executes resource mobilizing strategy with current and potential donors. The Head of Programmes coordinates all monitoring, reporting and documentation of evidence on outcomes, program-based human interest stories, lessons, best practice and internal knowledge development and innovation in the Cordaid Ethiopia program.
S/he continued work on improving the quality of products and services by formulating the strategies and program developments.
Responsibilities and Accountability
Project development, management, and Reporting
- Support the Country Director to develop, implement and update the humanitarian strategy and profile positive Cordaid visibility, representation and participation in the humanitarian sector in Ethiopia.
- Lead programme team managers and coordinators, providing relevant technical guidance on humanitarian, resilience nexus approaches, and support with specific technical guidelines, tools and the Project Implementation Manual (PIM) and manage the humanitarian program cycle management (identification, formulation, monitoring, and evaluation, learning and reporting).
- Manage strategic donor relations management, and with the team of program managers, execute resource mobilizing strategy with current and potential donors, mainlining up-to-date donor intelligence profiles, and monitors and delivers on fundraising plans.
- Ensure capacity and risk assessment of national/local partners and enforce dialogue with partners on (strategic) relation between Cordaid and local partners.
- Conduct regular on-site visits to project sites to build relationships, and continuously support and monitor the progress of projects funded by Cordaid and donors.
- Ensure that Resilience program is sensitive to gender and vulnerable groups (incl. women, girls and boys, children, people with disabilities and older adults) and incorporate identified risks reduction measures into the full life cycle of the Program design, operations & maintenance, etc.,
- Manage disaster risk reduction and resilience projects in Ethiopia and lead the expansion and growth of disaster risk reduction and resilience programming and ensure value addition in the conflict-affected areas
- Guide and participate in report writing to ensure accuracy in evidence harvesting, consistency, high-quality documents submitting them on time to donors.
- Ensure organisational program accountability and transparency and produce all key program documents, reports, and the Annual Country Report submitting them to Cordaid CO and GO on time
Strategy, Program Development & Management
- Take lead to develop and implement an effective Cordaid program strategy and implementation plan relevant to the country priority needs transiting resilience to development.
- Implement short-term and long -term programs that create new opportunities for diversified resource mobilizing the base.
- Provide overall strategic leadership and initiative in continuous donor mapping, donor intelligence, competitor analysis identifying that lead to concrete results in resource mobilizing to secure financial and other resources for the programmes.
- Lead response to call for proposals observing laid out donor requirements and standards and taking into account relevant sectoral strategies, with evidence-based proposal development processes and quality technical writing for award opportunities.
Networking, Representation, and Visibility
- Develop and maintain close relationships with donors and counterparts such as ECHO, the UN system, CAP, CHPF, and other in-country INGO and NGO fraternity networks for information sharing, exchange, building relations and networks to further Cordaid aims in Ethiopia. Participate in relevant Caritas, UN, CAP, and other humanitarian coordination / thematic cluster meetings and other meetings at the government and national level.
- Facilitate documentation of stories and media materials with human interest related to Cordaid and partners’ programs and projects and liaise with concerned units for broader coverage (digital and print media)
Communication, Representation & Advocacy
- Ensure to appropriately represent Cordaid in all relevant forums a) donors, government, and other key actors; b) Cordaid partners (present and past including relevant partner network consortia, alliance forums, and other relevant sector cluster meetings).
- Facilitate program representation and accountability of Cordaid in relevant strategic levels, platforms, sector, cluster forums and events that profile visibility, and offer the opportunity to share exchange and improve relations, space and opportunities for Cordaid at regional, Woreda and among institutional forums e.g. CARITAS fraternity, Dutch INGOs, etc.
Leadership & Management
- Maintain a strong focus on leadership and people management, ensuring the most capable and competent staff members are in place to implement the program strategy and operational plans. Lead and manage Cordaid’s team to facilitate high-performance culture, open trustworthy relationships and integrity.
- Ensure all program-based needs and requirements are timely and efficiently shared with support services for best-coordinated implementation.
- Provide excellent standards in the management of the human, financial, capital and technical resources of the organization, which includes inspiring and maintaining high standards of work and clear accountability to stakeholders.
- Establish a consultative and participative management environment that engages and develops Cordaid project teams to deliver on donor obligations hence meeting program commitment priorities.
- Maintain a close liaison on programmatic issues with the current program donors beyond contractual reporting requirements.
Financial & Operational Compliance
- Ensure quality adherence, contractual compliance and timely reporting on all projects. In collaboration with the Finance and Operations Manager, ensure responsibility for project expenditure, financial accountability, and planning requirements, and provide a high level of support to program processes and procedures.
- Monitor the overall financial integrity of Cordaid programme funds through grant management, monitoring, and evaluation. Track project indicators, expenditure, and other grants essential information and ensure to conduct grant review meetings on a regular basis.
- Lead the coordination of grant opening and closing meetings and propose resource mobilizing strategies.
- Provide capacity building to managers to strengthen the organizational practices that result in successful financial and operational audit scores and take lead in the implementation of risk management, risk mitigation, and in executing audit recommendations.
Accountability and Reporting
- Maintain management accountability, reporting and updating the line manager on all Cordaid business and organizational performance and progress in the program, including resource mobilizing processes, decisions, and actions.
- Undertake functions and roles delegated by the line manager.
Attend to other duties as directed and instructed by the line manager.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Qualification and skills
- Masters or post-graduate in International Relations, Humanitarian Programs Management, degree, international development, Disaster Risk Management and/or similar field
- Min 5 years’ management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes across multiple sectors.
- At least 7 years of proven experience with strategy and program development and management of humanitarian aid programmes.
- Demonstrable experience of driving integrated advocacy, communications, and fundraising approaches.
- Proven skills in leading strategic programming and planning processes
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
Knowledge and Experience
- Understanding the workings of the Humanitarian Sector in Ethiopia, knowledge of working with humanitarian concepts, principles, approaches and standards, guidelines frameworks and tools; this includes competent working knowledge on how to link of humanitarian aid to development programming.
- Proven competencies and experience in representation externally to key stakeholders, including donors, embassies and clusters.
- Experience of managing program systems and tools to oversee complex project portfolios across different sectors and locations as well as within consortium
- Experience in working with national/local actors and capacity building of national and local organisations in emergency preparedness and response.
- Experience with maintaining donor relations and policies in particular ECHO, UN funding mechanisms, CAP and cluster approach.
- Competence in resource mobilizing, and working knowledge on how to meet requirements for call for proposals, and the relevant attendant pre, in situ, and post proposal procedures; including skills for adapting to different donor requirements and procedures for funding.
- Strong experience in programme quality, MEAL, programme development and proven fundraising abilities with key donors.
- Experience with using relevant humanitarian international standards such as sphere.
- Proficient in micro-soft office packages such word and excel **
HOW TO APPLY:
Further information and how to apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mention the vacancy reference number in subject line.
e.g. CETH01/06/2019 Head of Programmes – Addis
Deadline for submission is by the 16 June 2019.
CORDAID is an equal opportunities employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com