Evaluation Team Leader – Youth Potential Activity Final Evaluation
USAID/Ethiopia Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Service (EPMES) Activity
Social Impact (SI) is an international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health, education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits. In Ethiopia, SI implements the Ethiopia Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Service (EPMES) Activity of USAID. The EPMES Activity provides monitoring and evaluation (M&E) services to the USAID/ Ethiopia Mission, which include external evaluation, performance monitoring technical support and improving capacity for learning and adapting.
Social Impact, through its EPMES Activity, is seeking to recruit on a short-term basis, an Evaluation Team Leader who has expertise in Youth Workforce Development. Experience in conducting evaluations on Workforce Development or similar interventions in Ethiopia or in any other countries, preferably in African countries, is required. The Team Leader will work under the supervision of the EPMES Chief of Party. The evaluation is expected to start towards the end of July and the level of effort (LOE) for this evaluation is tentatively estimated at between 70 to 80 days. This may be revised prior to the inception of this evaluation. The successful candidate will be notified about any changes in the LOE at the contracting stage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing a team of two local team members, including leading team planning meetings, assigning roles and responsibilities, assessing the team performance and reporting back to COP and requesting necessary logistics for the execution of this evaluation
- Developing the evaluation design with support from the local consultants and assigned EPMES staff
- Lead and participate in the preparation of presentation on the evaluation design
- Developing a sampling frame for primary qualitative and/or quantitative data collection
- Leading and actively participating in data collection, including traveling to different parts of Ethiopia for data collection and conducting interviews and focus group discussions with stakeholders and households
- Conducting secondary analysis of activity monitoring data, government data and relevant data from other sources
- Leading the report writing with the full involvement of the evaluation team members
- Ensuring that deadlines are met in accordance with the contractual schedule of deliverables
- Ensuring high quality and usefulness of evaluation outputs, given technical expertise in the subject matter being evaluated
- Reporting on the progress to the EPMES Chief of Party
- Guiding the team on data analysis techniques and conducting analysis
- Preparing the findings, conclusions and recommendations matrix
- Presenting the results to the client upon finalization of data analysis
The Team Leader will be expected to achieve the following deliverables in adherence with SI’s EQUI Quality Assurance Framework subject to the approval of the SI COP or designated SI staff member:
- A Final Evaluation Design Report, including agreed-upon outcomes of interest and evaluation questions
- Data collection instruments for Key Informant Interviews (KIIs) and Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) as well as any instruments for any potential quantitative surveys
- A training regime for enumerators and peer researchers as necessary
- Submission of compiled data, including anonymized qualitative data and quantitative government and project monitoring data
- Findings, Conclusions and Recommendations matrix
- Final reports, including findings, conclusions, and recommendations
- As required, utilization workshop and/or presentation of findings to USAID/Ethiopia and any other stakeholders that the client may recommend.
- Complete all EQUI® quality assurance checklists on time
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD/ MA/MSc. in Educational Planning, Educational Psychology, Measurement and Evaluation, Sociology, Demography, Economics, Statistics or another related social science field related to Youth Work Force Development or Entrepreneurship
- At least 10 years of experience with, and evaluation of, youth workforce development projects and actual project implementation
- Complex team and project management, including leadership and coordination of local consultants and management of local sub-contractor organizations
- Close familiarity with evaluation design, including sample design, mixed methods, data analysis, and data collection instrument development
- Ability to effectively assess and use existing data sources for secondary analysis
- Experience in applying measurement strategies associated with youth workforce development projects
- Data collection planning and implementation in complex and geographically diverse settings
- Presentation of evaluation findings to a broad range of stakeholders, including government officials, to optimize uptake of recommendations
- Effective collaboration and coordination with implementing partners and other local stakeholders during evaluation design and implementation
- Knowledge of USAID requirements with respect to data sharing, treatment of PII, ethical considerations/IRB
- Excellent written and oral communication in English
- In-depth knowledge of country context and development programming in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience in gender-sensitive monitoring and evaluation methods preferred.
Social Impact is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit chp.tbe.taleo.net.