DRC is seeking an expert for the post Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Specialist based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Working as a member of DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti’s MEAL unit, the MEAL Specialist will be responsible for leading and providing technical guidance in matters related to accountability, knowledge management and learning, and internal and external communications. Specifically, the Specialist will ensure compliance with DRC’s existing accountability standards, will develop and implement processes for collecting, managing and institutionalizing program knowledge, and will lead communications and advocacy initiatives.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Ensure all accountability policies and procedures, including the operation of DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti’s field-level feedback and complaints mechanisms, are adhered to, are fully operational and understood by DRC staff and beneficiaries.
- Further develop and update DRC’s accountability-related communications and learning materials for both staff and beneficiaries.
- Provide informed advice and guidance on improving accountability, including accountability issues related to DRC’s Code of Conduct.
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor DRC’s compliance with the internal accountability policies and procedures as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Lead the development and operationalization of a knowledge management and learning strategy for collecting, analyzing and summarizing knowledge and learning, and ensuring the integration of knowledge and learning into ongoing and future programming.
- Support MEAL and program teams to better document and integrate knowledge and learning in their daily activities through the development of appropriate tools, guidance notes and standard operating procedures.
- Collaborate with the Protection Information Officer and other information management staff to develop and maintain libraries or databases of knowledge and learning content.
- Organize and facilitate internal and external learning events and participate in the development of MEAL plans, as well as project kick-off, review and closure meetings.
- Lead the development and operationalization of a communications strategy for developing and releasing regular communications pieces both internally and externally.
- Document organizational achievements in publicly accessible communications pieces including one-pagers, reports, social media posts and multimedia pieces. This will entail frequent travel to field locations to collect information in the form of observation, interviews, photos and video.
- Collaborate with DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti’s grants team to ensure compliance with donor visibility standards in all external communications.
- Support the Country Director and Head of Program in liaising with journalist and external communications entities as necessary
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- A minimum of 3 years of MEAL and Knowledge Management experience within the humanitarian or NGO field.
- Experience in knowledge management, and in the development and management of other related tools, trackers, guidelines and policies.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities, and concurrently manage a variety of activities effectively to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Proven ability in designing and managing accountability policies and procedures.
- University degree in communications, social sciences or a related discipline
Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English and Amharic
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis .
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than February 21, 2019.