The Position: The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) seeks to recruit job Program Officer Reporting to the Country Manager, the Program Officer will be responsible for executing country strategy through grant-making and stakeholder convening, relevant country government relations and policy development and relevant country business development and resource mobilization.
General: The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) founded in 2006, is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Support AGRA’s engagement with national and regional governments, donors, development partners and grantees for the design and implementation of grants
- Support the Country Manager in closely managing and monitoring of grants
- Support the design and implementation of policy, regulatory and institutional reforms with the aim of creating an enabling environment for investment by smallholder farmers and agribusinesses;
- Support the Country Manager to meet the country level key performance targets and contribute to the AGRA institutional goals;
- Identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with other partners who are working to improve food and agricultural systems;
- Support the government in creation of Clusters in key agricultural production areas;
- Identify, support and guide efforts that enable smallholder farmers and farmers cooperatives to market their products and capture value from downstream activities;
- Lead efforts to facilitate economic transactions between value chain players and smallholder farmers;
- Work with financial institutions to develop financial products that are friendly to smallholder farmer, agro-dealers, input companies, traders and processors;
- Convene stakeholders and promote the agricultural transformation agenda;
- Manage consortiums;
- Identify potential grantees and work with them to develop impactful interventions;
- Liaise with AGRA technical experts to develop appropriate partnerships and design and manage grants;
- Collaborate across AGRA to identify and overcome policy-related constraints on technology development, dissemination and uptake;
- Support efforts to strengthen national capacities for policy design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Serve as advisor to the Regional Head on key challenges and opportunities for delivery and execution of the AGRA strategy.