UNICEF is seeking a Senior Programme Associate engages them on the programme and budget issues regarding the process of budget planning, monitoring and reporting for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Opportunity
To support the UNICEF Country Office in ensuring that the PMU effectively and efficiently executes a useful, robust and well-coordinated programme planning, monitoring, and contribution management function which will ensure:
- appropriate and smooth planning processes;
- coordinated programme management in place;
- monitoring oversight is well executed and documented;
- efficient funds movement and portfolio management; and
- appropriate functionality of the PMU.
To ensure efficient knowledge management of the PMU work in support of planning, monitoring, reporting, and partnership management.
How can you make a difference?
Key function, accountabilities, and related duties/tasks
The Senior Programme Associate builds collaborative working relationships with staff within the country office and engages them on the programme and budget issues regarding the process of budget planning, monitoring and reporting. Close relationships are also necessary with counterparts in other UN organizations for policy and best-practice comparisons.
- Programme Planning: Provide support in the Annual Work Planning process with budget reviews and compilation of the final AWP budget by quarter for the Sections and Field Offices. Provide support to the unit and government partners in the printing, scanning, filing (in soft and hard copies) and dissemination of the Annual Work Plans and documents related to work plan revision and reprogramming.
- Programme Monitoring, HACT, and Reporting: Provide support in the established monitoring and reporting mechanisms of the office, including supporting the organizing of internal programme reviews, liaising with the government counterparts on the participation of UNICEF I mid-year and annual reviews. Support the reporting processes of the office both at mid-year and end-year, with collating inputs from the field and support in uploading of the RAM reports and SMQs reports. Support the functioning of the HACT portfolio and the Monitoring Taskforce to enhance efficiencies. Provide support in preparing documents for uploading to eTools and support in the actual data entry, as required. Provide support in compiling and consolidating management reports for key performance indicators such as funds utilization, DCT liquidation and the like for management meetings.
- Partnership Management and PCAs: Provide support in the establishment of partnerships with Civil Society Organizations through checking the completeness of PCA/ DDFA submissions and in the review and clearance of the PCA budget plan, generating budget related data (e.g. utilization, expiring grants) of PCAs for management reviews, organizing PCA Review Committee meetings and serve as an alternate secretariat.
- Knowledge Management: Provide support for the unit in ensuring that all knowledge products generated by the team are appropriately stored for reference and retrieval from both soft storage and hard copy files. This will include uploading relevant documents to Vision and saving such and other documents to the shared resources as well as the Enterprise Content Management (ECM) system. The Senior Programme Associate will serve as the unit’s knowledge management focal point.
- PMU Budget Management and Administration: Provide overall administrative support to the unit including, logistics and secretariat support for trainings and meetings organized and conducted by PMU (RBM, HACT, PCA…etc.) and with meetings with partners (e.g. MoFEC) and UNICEF colleagues. Ensuring signing and stamping of documents/ contracts/ letters to partners and donors, coordinating delivery and receipt of documents, facilitating payment of consultants and contractors. Provide dedicated support in the financial management, (financial tracking, payment events and contract management) and administrative tasks for refugee and migration related programming supporting the migration programme specialist. The Senior programme associate will also ensure that UNICEF Ethiopia program management meetings such as the bi-weekly TMM, monthly PMT, quarterly Resource Mobilization taskforce, and CMT are organized, facilitated and coordinated effectively and providing secretarial services as need may be.
Impact of Results
- Decisions on methods of work and prioritizing activities in accordance with established workplans.
- Correct decisions will ensure efficient programme planning, monitoring, and timely implementation.
- Efficient information storage and filing system will facilitate information retrieval and minimize the probability of incorrect references and decisions.
- Error and/or lateness in reporting on prevailing project status or error in data preparation and analysis will impede effective programme administration, resulting in delays in delivery and inefficient utilisation of resources and damage UNICEF image.
- Works with Supervisors effectively and closely; however, must be able to work effectively with less supervision; initiative is encouraged in the area of improving programme, planning, implementation monitoring, and presentation/reporting of this work upon completion for accuracy.
Competencies and level of proficiency required (based on UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles.