The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is seeks to recruit Senior Research Officer for its office based at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to offer scientific leadership in synthesizing bets -wet watershed management experience and approaches in Ethiopia and beyond.
General: The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is an International organization, one of the 15 CGIAR centres, which conducts agricultural research for rural development in drought-prone of Africa and Asia, headquartered in Patancheru (Hyderabad, Telangana, India) with several regional centers (Bamako (Mali), Nairobi (Kenya)) and country offices, including in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ICRISAT adopts integrated genetic and natural resources management as its overarching research strategy to improve productivity and enhance resilience of dryland systems. ICRISAT-Ethiopia works with national partners on availing technologies to dry land farmers and agro-pastoralists, enhancing technology utilization, linking farmers to markets, and strengthening the national capacity.
Job Purpose: Apart from providing scientific support to ICRISAT, the Senior Research Officer will be involved in reviewing incentives being used in integrated watershed management and/or projects with watershed components such as the Food Security Project and the Productive Safety Net project in Ethiopia and make specific recommendations on specific incentives that will generate and sustain community interest in participatory watershed management programs under differing cultural setting.
- Provide scientific leadership in synthesizing best-bet watershed management experiences, tools and approaches in Ethiopia and beyond;
- Review incentives being used in integrated watershed management and/or projects with watershed components such as the Food Security Project and the Productive Safety Net project in Ethiopia and make specific recommendations on specific incentives that will generate and sustain community interest in participatory watershed management programs under differing cultural settings;
- Conduct comparative studies of various watershed management initiatives and quantify upstream and downstream relationships at different scales using biophysical models, particularly SWAT analysis
- Conduct comparative studies between integrated watershed management practices between India and Ethiopia and how the Indian experience has influenced design/implementation in Ethiopia.
- Devise rapid impact assessment methods and relate the characteristics of design and implementation to outcomes and impacts.
- Work with multi-disciplinary team of agronomists, modellers, social scientists and other experts to enhance the adoption and promotion of integrated watershed management approaches;
- Develop and strengthen partnership between the various bureaus and regional agricultural research institutions so that expertise and technologies from the various institutions reach farmers’ fields and watersheds;
- Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts of ICRISAT and the CGIAR Research Programs through writing research proposals, building capacity in our partners, engaging with the University sector by co-supervising postgraduate students.